sunnuntai 4. toukokuuta 2014

Finished plans: Rainbow Dash

So, I got the Rainbow Dash plans ready. Probably because it's the easiest one design wise, but I'm sure I'm going to shoot myself in the hand while doing the decorative border for the himation. I will probably never learn to do this so that I don't put in amazing details that that forever to finish, am I?

Oh well, to the plans.

Here's the finished plan. I might have to fix the himation on better, but this is how it's going to look. I asked the cosplayers of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash and they wanted the wings so they were added.

Originally I had only thought about wool and linen for the material, but I'm not sure if the cosplayer can wear those materials. I did find a mention from Herbert Norris's book Ancient European Costume and Fashion, that silk and cotton were imported in small amounts after Alexander the Great's conquests and expeditions. There is also mention to samet being imported from which the nobles paid fabulous sums for it. So, if the cosplayer cannot wear wool or linen, I can use cotton or silk and still be period accurate. More or less. Like I could be period accurate of an ancient Grecian fashion in 2014.... How silly of me.

Anyway, back to the topic.
I did two designs for the decorative border. I have to say I like the #1 better than #2. Both I based from actual designs I found in period style books and flew from there. Rainbow Dash's color sceme is repeated on the border with the addition of black in the #1. Which probably makes me like it. And why is this going to drive me nuts? To cover the entire lenght if the himation, I need to make nearly 6 metres of it. I might need to teach one of my little elves embroidery.

Well, as you can see the pattern for the ionic chiton in very simple. Just a rectangle piece of clothing. Nothing much, simple as heck.


On the himation I took a small liberty. Normally himation is a rectangle piece of clothing, but since in the design the himation is shorter on the other end and sort of trails on the floor, I had to make the lower and sloped. I still feel that I might have to make the short end even shorter. Maybe 110cm will suffice, I don't know, I need to adjust it at some point.

That's it for tonight. Nighty night children! Allons-y!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti